News Tokyo

Japan's Justice Ministry Put Ex-Yakuza on a Rehabilitation Poster. Sixteen Days Later It Took Them Down

On August 21, 2026, Japan's Ministry of Justice cancelled a tie-up with the Netflix reality series 'Badly in Love' and ordered roughly 1,700 posters pulled from probation offices nationwide. The campaign paired the ministry's offender-rehabilitation slogan with a cast of former bosozoku leaders, a former yakuza member and a host-club owner. It lasted sixteen days.

Japan's Justice Ministry Put Ex-Yakuza on a Rehabilitation Poster. Sixteen Days Later It Took Them Down

Rehabilitation, Bring It On

The poster was designed to be looked at twice.

Across the top, in the blunt slang of the delinquent world it borrowed from: "Kosei joto!!" — roughly, Rehabilitation, bring it on. Below it, a second line: Getting back on your feet — that's love. And filling the frame, the cast of a Netflix reality show: young men and women with full-body tattoos, one of them missing the top of his left little finger.

The logo in the corner belonged to the Government of Japan.

On August 21, 2026, the Ministry of Justice announced it was ending the collaboration and instructed probation offices across the country to take the posters down. The campaign had been live for sixteen days.

What the Ministry Signed Up For

The show is Badly in Love — Rav Joto in Japanese — a dating-and-friendship reality series whose second season began weekly release on Netflix on August 4, 2026. It is produced by the actress and producer MEGUMI and hosted by MEGUMI, the comedian Nagano and the rapper Awich.

Its premise is its casting. The eleven participants are drawn from the margins of Japanese respectability: a former head of a bosozoku motorcycle gang, a rapper and model, a former member of an organized-crime group, and — added mid-season as a late arrival — the owner of a host club. They live together, work through relationships, and do volunteer work.

On August 5, the day after the season premiered, the ministry's Rehabilitation Bureau (hogo-kyoku) posted an announcement on its website. The series, it said, matched the principles of kosei hogo — Japan's offender-rehabilitation and probation system — because it showed people "carrying regrets about the past" confronting their circumstances and re-examining themselves through connection with others and through volunteer activity.

The bureau's campaign slogan, in use for years, is Hito wa kawareru. Issho nara. — People can change. Together. That line, the ministry argued, was the same argument the show was making.

According to ENCOUNT, which interviewed the bureau on August 13, the proposal did not originate inside the government. Netflix approached the Rehabilitation Bureau, and officials reviewed and approved it. The Mainichi Shimbun reported that Netflix covered the production costs.

Roughly 1,700 posters — other outlets put the figure near 2,000 — went out to probation offices and affiliated agencies nationwide, scheduled to hang through early September.

The Line That Ended It

The backlash did not begin with the tattoos, though the tattoos were what people saw first.

It escalated when a cast member's on-air account of his past included having set a person on fire. In a program built on participants narrating what they used to do, that particular disclosure moved the conversation from aesthetics to arithmetic: a government agency was now co-branded with a broadcast confession of violent crime.

The criticism that followed ran along two lines, and they were not the same argument.

The first was fiscal and was, on the record, mistaken. Commenters objected to "using tax money to promote a show where people brag about crimes." Netflix, per the Mainichi, paid for the posters.

The second was the one the ministry could not answer. Crime victims and their advocates said the campaign risked causing them discomfort and unresolved feeling — that the state, which is also the institution that prosecutes offenders and supports the people they harmed, had put its name on a piece of entertainment in which offenses were recounted as biography.

A third strand, quieter, came from people who work in this field: that the poster confused reform with edge. The critic Yuki Tanabe, writing for Yahoo News Japan, framed the dissonance as showing a brawl and then holding up rehabilitation. Toyo Keizai ran a piece on why the full-body-tattoo image had turned on the ministry so quickly — the visual persuasion the campaign was counting on became the thing people objected to.

The Ministry Held, Then Folded

For several days the ministry did not move.

Asked about the reaction, a Rehabilitation Bureau official told Oricon the campaign "in no way affirms crime," and said the display schedule would not change. The posters were staying up.

On August 21 that position reversed. The ministry announced the tie-up was cancelled and told facilities to remove the posters immediately, saying that under the circumstances it had become difficult to fulfill the original intent of deepening public understanding of rehabilitation services.

The ministry was careful about what it was not saying. The decision, it stated, "does not negate the cast members or their efforts, or the rehabilitation of people with criminal records." Jiji Press reported the ministry stressing it had never intended to affirm crime or glorify past misconduct.

That is a government agency withdrawing a message while insisting the message was correct.

Why This Sits in the Night Economy's Territory

Nothing in the campaign concerned sex work, and no licensing question is at issue. But the cast list is a fair map of who actually staffs Japan's night trade, and that is why the collapse of this campaign matters beyond a public-relations cycle.

Host clubs operate as Category 1 entertainment businesses under the fuei-ho — the Businesses Affecting Public Morals Regulation Act — licensed by prefectural public safety commissions to have staff sit with and pour for customers. The industry has spent the past two years under intensifying scrutiny: amendments targeting the urikake debt-and-coercion pipeline took effect in 2025, and enforcement against scout groups feeding women into adult-entertainment work has run continuously through 2026.

That industry is also, in practice, one of the few labor markets in Japan that hires people with records. A man who has done time, or who left a bosozoku at nineteen, faces a formal employment system that will rarely take him. Nightlife will.

This is the same population the Rehabilitation Bureau exists to serve. Japan's recidivism problem is genuine and is the reason the bureau runs public-awareness campaigns at all: the Bengoshi JP legal news service, covering the controversy, cited a 46 percent re-offense rate among those the system handles — a figure that is precisely the argument for reaching people before the night economy is their only remaining employer.

The ministry tried to make that argument in the vernacular of the people it was aimed at. The vernacular is what sank it.

What Was Actually Tested

The campaign's failure is not a verdict on whether rehabilitation works. It is a narrower finding, and a more useful one.

A state agency can say people can change in the abstract for years without objection. The instant it attaches that sentence to specific, visible, named people who have not been sanded down — who still have the tattoos, the missing finger, the stories — the abstraction becomes a claim about individuals, and the public treats it as an endorsement rather than a proposition.

That is the trap the Rehabilitation Bureau walked into, and it is structural. Campaigns featuring reformed offenders who look reformed persuade nobody, because they have quietly removed the hard case. Campaigns featuring the hard case persuade nobody either, because the hard case looks like what the public is afraid of.

The posters were scheduled to come down in early September regardless. They came down two weeks early, and the ministry's stated reason was that it could no longer accomplish what it had set out to do.


Sources: FNN Prime Online (August 21, 2026); Mainichi Shimbun (August 21, 2026); Jiji Press (August 21, 2026); QAB Ryukyu Asahi Broadcasting (August 21, 2026); Ministry of Justice Rehabilitation Bureau official notice (posted August 5, 2026). Background: ENCOUNT (August 13, 2026); Oricon (August 2026); Bengoshi JP News; Toyo Keizai Online; Yahoo News Japan expert commentary by Yuki Tanabe; Netflix Japan press materials (August 2026). Poster quantities differ between outlets — the Mainichi reports approximately 1,700, while other reports put the figure near 2,000. The cast member who described past arson is not named here, as reporting on the ministry's decision did not identify him. No one described in this article has been charged in connection with the broadcast, and the disclosures at issue were made on the program, not to police.